Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cake Balls Are Taking Over

About a month ago I bought an electric cake ball maker. It makes 7 at a time and each batch takes 7 minutes. I used brownie mix, cake mix, and I even tried cinnamon rolls from a tube; everything turned out great. I took them to a Thanksgiving gathering and they were just the right size for little hands and mouths. The kids loved them.  However I am also the As Seen on TV Queen but have learned some self control, now instead of ordering from TV I wait until it comes to a store. Shipping charges are outrageous and you get screwed when you go for the "we'll send you a second one free just pay additional shipping."  I now am the proud owner of a  Cake Pop Pan, it was given to me as an early Christmas present. As soon as I came home with it I had to use it. It makes 18 at a time and only took about 12 minutes each batch.So far I used a lemon cake mix and then tried a yellow mix adding a pkg. of pistachio pudding.; both came out good but you do get overflow from the hole on the top.  When you use this pan you have to adjust ingredients in mix such as substituting half as much milk instead of  the amount of water and  adding an extra egg. They recommend spraying the pan with a spray that also contains flour, I didn't have any so I sprayed the pan and then sprinkled flour in each cavity' it all worked out. Next I am going to try a cake from scratch. I was thinking on using a pound cake recipe for a denser cake. I didn't get fancy with decorating I just used powdered sugar on one batch and made a glaze of powdered sugar and water for the other and  rolled them in some sprinkles. I had fun making them and my co-workers had fun eating them; so a fun time was had by all. If you don't have a pan or don't want to buy one you can still make cake balls/pops by baking an ordinary cake mix and letting it cool. Crumble the baked cake and slowly add a can of instant frosting until it's the consistency of cookie dough; now start rolling into balls and place them on a pan lined with parchment paper. Next take your sucker stick and make an indentation in each ball, put them in the freezer until they firm up a little. Melt candy melts, remove balls from freezer and put a little icing on the stick before inserting it into ball. Roll the ball on the stick in the melted candy, let excess drip off. Have a piece of styrofoam about an  inch thick with a piece of parchment paper over it so you can place the candy coated pop in the styrofoam unril it dries. Sprinkle colored sugar or any other decorations on the ball before the chocolate dries.  Voilla Cake Balls!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment